domingo, 8 de marzo de 2020

Las que fueron: Jane Austen

 

Greatings to my fellow ladies from tomorrow;

I am writing with regard to your question about how my life is and how it is for me to write while having these chains that society has put on me since I was a young lady.          

Well, to start, people all around me expect me to marry a rich man and have kids to raise but I do not want to commit to a man just to allow him to put barriers and walls against my will and freedom as a human being. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.  I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!

I once was about to marry a man, and I had feelings for him but luckily I turned down his offer. I would rather be alone forever than have someone to be shaded by. I am a woman with dreams to achieve, I am not ready or interested in getting under arrest by this society. Even though I feel alone sometimes, I still have people around me that I love and that love me back; and I will always have books by my side and so do all of you.

To change the subject a little bit, I will show you how it is like for me to write nowadays, in the 18th century.  

I declare after all, there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library. The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

 Reading opens up our mind and our heart, leading us to incredible worlds and different people to look up to or to just hate. Writing is even better; there is no such a thing as writing, it makes all kinds of frustation disappear out in the void. Every woman I know should write, they have astonishing stories to tell and spread but why do not they write? That  is the question. They tell us we should be occupied by chores, not reading. They doubt our potential to create, they say we are not as good as male writers; beacause we are women, and it seems like we can not attempt to the same things or to be equally considered. We are weak, they say. We have lack of intelligence, they say. But I say: do not believe a word they say, ladies.

Give a girl an education and introduce her properly into the world and she will be succesful and fearless and will undoubtedly achieve anything she attemps to. Just like a man, we can reach great things.

Finally, to all the ladies of the 21st century, be strong and never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance in the world. My heart is, and always will be, yours.

Sincerely,

Jane Austen


Texto creado por María Luján Invernizzi